June 30, 2023
WASHINGTON--The National Council on Disability will hold several panels focused on health disparities for people with disabilities during its Council meeting July 12-13 in Washington, D.C.
On July 12, the Council hosts in-person conversations with senior leaders from across premiere associations of medicine, dentistry, and medical education as well as other experts, and self-advocates, to discuss health disparities of people with disabilities, ableism in health care, and how to equip health care professionals to treat people with disabilities to address both.
From 9:15 – 10:45 a.m. NCD hosts a panel on addressing health disparities through disability clinical care competency training.
- Zainub Dhanani, Executive Director, Medical Students with Disability and Chronic Illness (alternate is Nora Newcomb, Associate Director)
- Dr. Susan Havercamp, Director, Health Promotion and Healthcare Parity, The Ohio State University
- Matt Holder, Past President (2014-2016), American Academy of Developmental Medicine & Dentistry
- Dr. Priya Chandan, Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Chloe Rothschild, Board Member, the Arc
From 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. NCD hosts a panel discussion on responding to health disparities of people with disabilities.
- Dr. Jonathan Perlin, President and CEO, The Joint Commission
- Dr. George Shepley, President, American Dental Association
- Dr. Geoffrey H. Young, Ph.D, Senior Director, Transforming Health Care Workforce, American Association of Medical Colleges
- Dr. Bruce Scott, President Elect, American Medical Association
- Dr. John R. Combes, Chief Communications and Public Policy Officer, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Following the panels, NCD invites the public to provide comment on disability-related experiences and barriers encountered in obtaining appropriate care.
More information is available on our upcoming events page at https://ncd.gov/events/2023/upcoming-council-meeting.